Monday, May 15, 2006

Summer Trips ???

Ok … who has major bike trips planned for the Summer?
Americade, Bike Week Myrtle Beach, Coloradicle, Sturgis…….. etc.
What are they and will this be your first trip to this location or have you been before? What do you do to get ready or how much research do you do before the trip or do you do it on the fly because you like Surprises?
Camp or Motel? Ride the scoot or trailer it? Superslab or back roads?

Just a few questions ….. as stated in one of my earlier posts, I’ve only recently gotten back into the biking scene. So I'm looking for some input here.

I'll be riding the VTX down to Knoxville, TN in June for the Honda Hoot. I convinced a buddy who has a new HD Night Rod to make the trip with me. We have different rides planned for each day. On Saturday 6/24, we’ll be doing the Tail of The Dragon over on the border of Tennessee and North Carolina. Can’t wait, I’m getting pretty amped just thinking about it, since I haven’t been able to ride in a week or so. Damn rain.

The club I belong to ….. The Michigan “X” Riders (www.mixriders.com)
has a charity ride entitled “Seeing Michigan”. You pay an entry fee and you must visit all five of the following locations in Michigan and take a picture of your bike in front of a recognizable landmark, post office, Fire / Police Station or some other place to use as proof you were there. Locations: St. Joseph, Alpena, Northport, Cross Village, and Bay Mills. Everyone who makes it to all five locations will have their name entered into a drawing and will win a prize at our October meeting. A major portion of the proceeds will be given to charity.I signed up for it and plan on having it completed by mid August.

So lets mount up, get our motors running and head out the highway!!!

Feel free to post any tips you may have.

Stay Safe …… Sniper

3 Comments:

Blogger Biker Betty said...

Good luck and safe travels when you go to the Honda Hoot. I haven't had the chance to do too long a trip. My husband & I took an afternoon's travel up into the mountains and did an overnighter. We stayed in a motel. I would love to go to Athens, GA for the AMA/FIM Women's conf, but we are doing our family vacation later in July and can't afford both. Family wins hands down.

If I were to do a long trip, I would have to do a fair amount of research; make my lists of what to take, where to go, roads to travel, etc. I would have maps of everywhere I would go. I would stay in a motel and not camp.

"See Michigan" sounds like fun. My riding group is doing a scavanger hunt thru Oct 31st. There's just over 350 items that you must get a picture of with your bike. Many things are all over the state of Colorado. It's a lot of fun, but I haven't traveled far from home so far. There is a ton of stuff we can get in town or within 2 hours away. It is a blast!!!

Safe Travels, Betty :)

5/16/2006 8:03 AM  
Blogger Vinod said...

I will be going to the honda hoot this year as well. Funny thing, I just sold my VLX today and am getting a suzuki volusia. But I guess I'll stil go to the hoot( only for the first 2 days though). I also plan to ride the tail of the dragon and a couple of hundred miles on the blue ridge parkway.

6/01/2006 1:18 PM  
Blogger Jani said...

Since my mother in law comes north for the summer - the ol' lady and I are going south. Her place is empty, so we have a place to stay outside of Tampa Bay - what we really are going for is the ride out to Key West.

We leave August 1st - any tips - hotel suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Clyde

6/06/2006 6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home